Friday, August 13, 2010

Old Man Cuteness

I was helping a little old man and out of nowhere he asked if I had children. I told him I was expecting my first – a girl. “How do you know that?” he asked me incredulously.
“I had an ultrasound. The doctor told me.”
He was absolutely shocked. He just could not even fathom why I would want to know, even after I gave him plenty of reasons. I don’t like surprises, I like to plan, I don’t like not knowing what’s going on in there, I’m nosy and curious.
“What did people do before they had this technology?” he asked me.
I guess they didn’t find out. But now we can, so I did.
He just shook his head in disbelief and said, “If you were my granddaughter (and you could be, because I’m 81!) I’d go to the doctor and tell him not to tell you! Because you should not know those things!” I love how little old men always tell me their age even though I can see it on the screen; they’re so proud of their age and that’s awesome and unlike women. This man was just so incensed about the whole thing; he kept walking away and then coming back to tell me another thing he thinks about it.

It’s really funny how everyone has such an opinion about finding out. At first I thought it was older generations that were super anti it, just because they hadn’t had the option. But even people our age just don’t get why we’d want to know. But like I told little Mr. Grant, I don’t like surprises. It even irritated me after 12 weeks to know that baby was a boy or girl in there and I didn’t get to know about it. She’s not a birthday present or an engagement ring; she doesn’t need to be a surprise! There will be so many surprises that day – another one is the last thing I need!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know if you were a boy or a girl when you were i n my tummy. We were absoluty sure that you were a boy. Figure out that we even didn't think on girl`s name. And I was so happy to have a baby girl!. Love

    ReplyDelete