Monday, August 16, 2010

Testing…

This weekend I went to my gestational diabetes test. I was kind of looking forward to it, as I’d read so much about it on the internet. Even the midwife warned me about this one, actually, so I was looking forward to seeing what all the fuss was about.

I arrived early as to avoid lines, but the place was already packed with people, including three other very pregnant ladies. They got me this mysterious drink that I’d read so much about and asked me to take the first sip on front of the lady who checked me in. I’d read that the liquid is a thick sugary concoction, so I kind of scrunched my nose and took a teeny tentative sip; expecting the worst. It was… delicious. So amazingly delicious. I drank it all and asked for a second cup! Well, I didn’t ask for a second cup but I really wanted to. It was exactly like orange Fanta (actually, I think it was orange Fanta.) The receptionist made sure that I could stay for a full hour, and by that they meant in the actual waiting room. I was planning on going outside to paint my nails and to avoid germs, but they made it very clear that there would be no stepping foot outside that office.

After an hour of shifting around in the uncomfortable plastic seat and staring at the other pregnant girls, I was called up to draw blood. The tech told me a huge story about how much she dislikes having a child, took my blood (out of the top of my hand since my veins are little) and sent me on my way. Hopefully I’ll hear nothing back and continue on my amazing tasting journey of slurpees and chocolate bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment